The walkway to the house came out so good that we decided to have the cracked patio removed this year too. Here are some photos of the work. The concrete that was removed had no layer of rocks to prevent frost heave damage. It is surprising that it actually lasted as long as it did. You can see with the new patio that an area several feet deep was excavated to support the new stone patio.
Last fall while backpacking in the Adirondacks we came across an abandoned tent. I decided that if I was going to be hiking around with a 50 pound pack on my back that I wanted more of a reward for my efforts, and not owning my own tent, decided to pack this one out with me. I didn’t know if it had all the pieces, and this May I finally got it set up to check it out. Its pretty nice, a three man tent, although I doubt you would really want to cram three adults in there. But hey, free tent!
We went to Winterthur Gardens and Mansion this Spring as part of the Celebration of Life for Jay Powell. It was a beautiful day, and the gardens were spectacular. The Azaleas were in full bloom, and the grounds around the estate were beautiful. It was a wonderful day, a fitting way to remember Jay, and a day I hope not to forget.
Well, tracy and I keep doing our part to jump start the economy, so here’s some photos of the new floor we had put into our front room and dining room.
This April we finally got around to having a new front walkway installed at our house. It came out really nice looking. Here are the before and after photos.
For those of you that enjoyed my earlier IR photographs of tanks, here are a few more I scared up from 2008.
Well, I hope you enjoyed these photos of how some military vehicles appear in the IR spectrum.
I am always on the look out for interesting things to photograph in infrared. Here are a couple interesting effects that I noticed after taking a few photos this weekend. One was expected, the other was a bit of a surprise. The color photos were taken with a Canon Powershot SD850 IS, and the Infrared photos were taken with a Kodak EasyShare V550 with the infrared blocking filter removed and a new filter put in place to block visible light.
I knew the tank would appear as neat as it does from my knowledge of military history and a paper I wrote long ago on camouflage techniques, but the infrared glass on the car was a bit of a surprise. I didn’t expect it to appear as “visible” as it did.
We’ve had a new addition to our family of cameras here, my new Canon Rebel 40D. It just came in the mail this week, and I am looking forward to putting in some significant effort into learning how to use it. I am really excited. It just dwarfs the other cameras we own.
This won’t be the end of the other cameras, no sir. I’ll still have my handheld Canon Powershot with me almost all the time. But man, the 3″ LCD on the SLR is almost as big as the whole pocket sized powershot. Jeesh, this is gonna be fun!
Took this photo of a titmouse outside the house today. Two of them were hopping over to the feeder and back to the tree grabbing one seed at a time. No it wasn’t taken with the new camera, it was taken with my trusty Canon G6. Its a canon family…
Hey, its not the best photo in the world, but its a nice bird, that’s for sure.
Well, no updates for 2 months. What have I been up to? Well I will tell you. I have been working to create two websites to store the content from the Adena Springs Racing Venture 2 and 3 that we belong to. I decided to create two separate dedicated sites for the information. That way I can keep this site more dedicated to our own goings on and happenings, and the new sites exclusive to horse racing. The new sites are up and running and available via links in the menu bar at right, as well as using the banners below.
What else have we been up to? Well Tracy and I decided to do our part for the economy by buying a new car. My first car, that I owned for almost 12 years, finally wasn’t worth the expense to keep it running. A 1995 2 Door Camry with 183,600 miles on it. It was my first car and I will always love it. But we have now moved on, and purchased a new camry. Picture to come soon.
I’ve accumulated a rather large collection of odd fortunes from chinese fortune cookies, so I thought I would share them with you. These are real fortunes that I received in restaurants.
- Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible
- Financial hardship in your life is coming to an end. Enjoy!
- Keep on charging the enemy so long as there is life.
- Digital circuits are made from analog parts.
- Someone from your past has returned to steal your heart.
- Be cautious while walking in darkness alone.
- Fortune said a palm can say a lot, especially when it smacks you.
- Your success will astonish everyone.
- Someone will invite you to a Karaoke party.
- The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that extra.
- A depression is when you lose yours.
- Depend on the predictability and steadiness of life to support you!
- Here we go. Low fat, whole wheat green tea.
- You’ll accomplish more later if you have a little fun this weekend.
- It takes all sorts to make up the world.
- Keep your plans secret for now.
- There is a good chance of a romantic encounter soon.
- There is a prospect of a thrilling time ahead for you.
- If your cookie is in 3 pieces, the answer is no. (The cookie WAS broken)
- You will inherit a large sum of money.
- You love Chinese food.
- Next time, order the shrimp.
- You love sports, horses and gambling but not to excess.
- May you grow rich.
- If you love something, set it free.. if it returns, keep it and love it forever.
- Made in the USA
- You’re transforming yourself into someone who is certain to succeed.
- Conquer your fears. Otherwise, your fears will conquer you.
- Good luck is often with the man who doesn’t include it in his plans.
- Life enrich from seeking, not from sitting.
- A danger forseen is half avoided.
- Relationships is like fingers of you hand. “One” cannot do much.
- Loser’s visualize the penalties of failure. Winners visualize the rewards of success.
- It’s good that life is not as serious as it seems to the waiter.
- When more becomes too much. It’s same as being not enough.
- A real friend asks to spend time with you, not money.
- You will be singled out for promotion.
- Accept the next proposition you hear.
- A new wardrobe brings great joy and change to your life.
And there you have it, wise advice from the cookie sages…